For 24 cupcakes or 1 double layer cake
|2 cups||260 grams||All-purpose flour|
|2 table spoons||4 teaspoons||Baking soda|
|2 table spoons||2 teaspoons||Ground cinnamon (fresh Sri Lankan if possible)|
|1 cup||200ml||Milk (or enough to make a good mix)|
|1/2 cup||100 ml||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 cup||200 grams||Soft brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon||1 teaspoon||Vanilla extract|
|3 cups||300 grams||Grated peeled carrots (5 to 6 medium carrots)|
|1/2 cup||65 grams||Raisins or sultanas (pre soaked in rum! )|
FOR THE FROST TOPPINGS
|8 ounces||225 grams||Cream cheese, at room temperature|
|1 1/4 cups||140 grams||Powdered / icing sugar|
|1/3 cup||80 ml||Whipping cream|
NOW TO START
Clean and grate the carrots – get that out of the way first.
MAKE BATTER MIX
- Pre heat the oven to 170°C 330°F
- Prepare 2 cup cake trays with paper liners
- grease and dust with flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and the cinnamon until well blended.
- Add the oil, sugar and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until all the mix is combined.
- Add the carrots and raisins “little by little” stirring gently until they combine and the mix is smooth.
- Divide the batter mix between the prepared cake pans.
Bake until the tops are springy when touched and when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean –
- about 20 – 25 minutes for cup cakes
- about 30 to 40 minutes for a big cake
Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks and cool completely.
If you are going to freeze – do it as soon as possible – like 10 minutes!
- Beat / whisk the cream cheese until creamy – about 1 minute.
- Add and beat / whisk the powdered sugar, a 1/4 cup at a time until fluffy.
- Add beat / whisk in cream to the frosting mix – about 1 minute.
- Chill until ready to frost cake.
When the cake layers are completely cool, frost the top of one cake layer, place the other cake layer on top.
Decoratively swirl the top of the cake with remaining frosting, leaving the sides unfrosted. Decorate with pecan or wall nuts if you wish
To be fancy you could decorate with mandarin oranges to give a dolphin leaping effect!